Origins: Fact or Faith
11 August 2019 AM – Hebrews 11:1-3 – Heb19 – Scott Childs
Introduction: Are your beliefs about the origin of all things fact or faith? Unbelievers mock Christians today for their faith in the Bible record of Creation, yet evolution requires more faith than Creation.
If the devil can get you to lose faith in God as Creator, you will also lose faith in God’s promises. You may even lack saving faith.
What is faith? (Read text) Hebrews 11:1 tells us that faith is the substance or foundation of things hoped for, the evidence or persuasion of things not seen. That describes faith better than it defines it. “Faith, in its simplest form, is just trusting someone to do what he has promised and acting upon it.” (John Stormer) “True Bible faith is confident obedience to God’s Word in spite of circumstances and consequences.” (Warren Wiersbe) Faith then is an action based upon a firm belief.
Transition: This morning I want to examine three statements about origins that I trust will increase your faith in God.
1. No Human Witnessed the Origin
a. The origin of all things was unseen by man
1) “In science, a fact is an observation that’s been confirmed so many times that scientists can, for all intents and purposes, accept it as ‘true.’” Web Anything that you cannot observe, test, or demonstrate is not science.
2) We can observe the results of the origin of all things, but no human observed the origin.
3) “No scientist in the world today was present when the earth came into existence nor do any of us have the privilege of watching worlds being created today!” John C. Whitcomb, The Early Earth, p.52
4) Since the origin of all things is unobservable and unrepeatable, no theory of how it took place should be called a scientific fact.
b. Man’s origin ideas are all theories
1) Without the Bible, the very best that a human can do is to imagine how the origin might have taken place.
2) We cannot observe any origins taking place today.
3) Evolution is based on faith. Evolution is a religion not science.
4) The Bible states that God created all that exists. No human watched God do it. We believe that by faith.
5) The origin debate is not a matter of the facts of science verses the faith of Christians! Both are based on faith. It is a choice of where you will place your faith.
2. Evolution is based on Faith
a. Evolutionists falsely claim that evolution is a fact.
1) Children are taught today that evolution is a fact that explains the origin of all things. It is a lie! That is not scientific. Scientists cannot observe, repeat or test it.
2) Nearly every secular children’s book about origin of the universe, humans or dinosaurs pushes the phrase “millions of years ago”. They know that if they say it enough times, people will accept it as fact.
b. Evolution is a recent theory.
1) In 1859, Charles Darwin published his book entitled “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.” It was based on his theories, not on scientific fact. He observed variations within a kind and proposed that in time changes into another kind would thus occur.
2) Variation within a kind is true. That is not evolution. There are many varieties of birds, but they are all birds. There are many varieties of dogs, but they are all dogs.
3) Darwin never observed changes from one kind to another kind. Birds never become pigs. Dogs never become cats. Changing from one kind to another kind of creature is genetically impossible. That is a fairy-tale.
4) Evolution’s essential requirement is TIME. Evolutionists generally believe that the origin began with a Big Bang about 13 billion years ago. They theorise that given enough TIME genetically impossible changes will take place. By faith, they believe that slime on a pond changed into life, then simple creatures evolved forming every kind of life and eventually humans. This has never been observed. It cannot be repeated. It is not scientific.
5) Fossils do not prove evolution. Many fossils of extinct creatures exist, but no fossil has been found to indicate that a creature was in the process of changing from one kind to another kind.
6) The evidence is against the evolution theory.
a) The oceans are getting more salty. Yet, there is not enough salt in the ocean for more than a few thousand years of accumulation.
b) The moon is drifting away from the earth, yet it is too close to have drifted for millions of years.
c) No evolution is observable today. Mutations are changes within a kind and they are a loss of information not the addition of new information.
d) In 2005, a scientist found original soft tissue, including blood vessels, in dinosaur bone. Such DNA could not survive for millions of years.
e) The sedimentary layers all over the world, huge canyons, layers of coal and oil deposits testify of rapid formation during a flood, not millions of years.
f) Evolution provides no objective basis for right and wrong.
g) Nothing gets better by itself.
3. Creation is based on Faith
a. Men have believed Creationism for 6,000 years
1) Based on Bible genealogies, God created all things about 6,000 years ago in six literal 24-hour days.
2) No human saw God create all things, but 3500 years ago, God inspired Moses to compile the records of Adam and nine others to form the book of Genesis. Search “Generations of”
b. Through faith we understand, v.3
1) Our faith is based, not on a hypothesis, but on the Bible.
2) Through faith, we believe what Moses and others wrote that the worlds were framed by the word of God.
a) The word “framed” means to fit or equip.
b) (Genesis 1:1) “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
c) (Psalms 33:6) “By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.”
d) (Nehemiah 9:6) “Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.”
e) (Colossians 1:16) “For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:”
3) Creation agrees with what we observe today.
a) The most powerful telescopes and the most powerful microscopes reveal incredible design.
b) The DNA code system gives evidence that there is a Designer and Intelligence behind life. DNA makes no sense if it came about by random chance accidents.
c) In biology, there are distinct kinds of plants and animals, just as the Bible states.
d) The DNA in every kind of creature allows for amazing variety but only within that kind.
e) Recorded history and languages date back to about six thousand years not millions of years.
4) Through faith, we believe that the things seen were not made of things which do appear.
a) Creation declares that our intelligent God designed and created everything from nothing.
b) Evolution claims that nothing exploded into everything. Which takes more faith?
Conclusion: All beliefs about the origin are based on faith. Observable evidence and the Bible strongly support Creationism. If you lack faith in the Creation model of origins, at least consider the consequences you will face if you are wrong. You will answer to your Creator and Judge. If you also lack saving faith, you will spend eternity paying for your sin in hell. Why not place your faith in God and the Bible rather than in anti-god theories.
Song: I Have Decided – 397