Here are ten steps that you ought to take which will help you grow spiritually.
1. Make Sure You Are Saved
Review again the plan of salvation.
- All people are sinners
- God is holy and hates sin.
- Sin separates us from God and dooms us eternally to hell.
- God loves all people and sent His Son Jesus to earth to die and raise again to pay the sinner’s debt.
- All who repent and trust in Christ to pay for their sins, are forgiven and given eternal life in heaven.
- If you truly did this, God saved you.
1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
2. Tell Someone
Do not be ashamed of Jesus. Christ
- Begin right away to tell people that you repented of your sins and trusted Jesus Christ to save you from hell and give you eternal life.
- Tell your loved ones.
- Tell your friends.
- In a church service, publicly testify that you trusted Christ.
- Tell others about Christ and urge them to trust him as well.
Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
3. Read the Bible Daily
The Bible is your spiritual food.
- Start reading in the book of John
- Look for truth that applies to your life.
- Ask God to help you understand.
- Write down one thing that you learned.
- Meditate on the things you learned.
Psalm 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
4. Pray Often
You can talk to God about anything.
- Talk to God like you talk to a loved one.
- Thank Him for saving you.
- Share your heart with God. He cares!
- Give God your burdens.
- Ask Him for wisdom.
- Pray for those who are not saved.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
5. Attend a Baptist Church
A strong church will build you up.
- Churches are not all alike. Many do not clearly preach the Bible. Attend an independent Baptist church if possible. If you live in Perth, Australia, please attend our church.
- Attend every service that you can.
- Get to know the pastor and his wife.
- Take notes on the sermons.
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is . . .
6. Get Baptized
Immersion baptism is a testimony.
- The only baptism mentioned in the Bible is by immersion (under the water) after a person trusts Christ for salvation.
- Baptism is a public testimony.
- Ask your pastor about getting baptised.
Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
7. Learn to Give
By giving to God you worship Him.
- God gave you eternal life, now giving to God is one way you can worship Him.
- In the Old Testament, God commanded His people to give 10% of their income to Him.
- In the New Testament, God does not state how much we should give, but 10% is a good place to begin.
2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8. Memorise Bible Verses
Bible verses will help you do right.
- You will be tempted to do wrong, but quoting helpful Bible verses will give you strength to resist temptation.
- Mark helpful verses as you read your Bible.
- Ask your pastor for helpful verses.
- Write the verses on a card and review them until you have them memorised.
Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
9. Live to Please God
Turn from sin and do right.
- Jesus gave His life to save you, now you ought to give your life to Him.
- One of the reasons God saved you is so that you can live to please Him.
- Turn from sinful things like rock music, pornography, sexual sins, sexy clothes, swearing, dirty movies, drinking, etc.
2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
10. Confess All Sin to God
If you confess it, God will cleanse it.
- You cannot hide sin from God.
- Sin will hinder you spiritually.
- Admit it to God and stop doing it.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Dear New Christian,
These ten steps to Christian growth are not part of your salvation. You cannot earn salvation, and you need not work to keep it. When God saved you, He made you His child. If you sin, you will lose your fellowship with God, but not your relationship with God. You will grieve God, but He will not disown you. Follow these ten steps, and let God do a great work in your life spiritually.
May God strengthen you,
Pastor Scott Childs
For additional help in your Christian life, contact Pastor Childs
Click here to open the pdf file Ten Steps for New Christians. When printed on both sides of one sheet, this article forms a 3-fold brochure.