My Apologies: I forgot to record this service. Pastor Childs
The Music of a Spirit-filled Christian
The Harm of Rock Music
17 July 2022 PM –1 John 2:15-16 – Music22 – Scott Childs
Introduction: I don’t have to tell you that we live in a world that is addicted to rock music. When I speak of “rock”, I am talking about all the pop music of our day, whether it is punk, heavy metal, grunge, progressive rock, alternative rock, indie rock, rap-rock, funk rock, math rock, or post-rock.
David Cloud made the following observations about Christians and rock music. “The average church member is so accustomed to and even addicted to rock music in his daily life, he craves for it even in church.” David Cloud, What’s Wrong with Soft Rock?
Transition: (Read 1John 2:15-16) With that challenge in mind, I want us to take a closer look at rock music and the harm it is causing. To do this, I want to answer four questions.
1. What is rock music?
a. Dictionary definitions
1) Rock Music: popular music usually played on electronically amplified instruments and characterized by a persistent heavily accented beat, much repetition of simple phrases, and often country, folk, and blues elements. Merriam-Webster Dictionary
2) The Canadian government defined “rock and rock-oriented music” as “characterized by a strong beat, the use of blues forms and the presence of rock instruments such as electric guitar, electric bass, electric organ or electric piano.” https://www.britannica.com/art/rock-music
b. Rock music comes in many forms
1) There are at least 30 types of rock music, according to one report. https://www.musicianwave.com/
2) Characteristics of rock music include energy, propulsive rhythms, and electric instruments and drum kits. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/rock-n-roll-music-guide#a-brief-history-of-rock-n-roll
2. Why is rock music harmful?
a. Rock music appeals to the flesh
1) Both rock music’s unnatural backbeat and sensual delivery appeal to our sinful flesh. Man’s sinful nature likes the rebellious, self-pleasing nature of rock music.
3) In his book, New Singer, New Song, David Winter admits, “An incessant beat does erode a sense of responsibility in much the same way as alcohol does… You feel in the grip of a relentless stream of sound to which something very basic and primitive in the human nature responds.” (Quoted by J. Blanchard in “Can We Rock the Gospel?” p. 57)
b. Rock music is very addictive
1) Rock is not just appealing, it is addictive. People crave it. They long to hear it all the time. Look at the ear buds!
2) The sound and words just do not want to leave the mind.
1) Cursing, swearing, and filthy words are common in rock.
2) A quick Google search confirms this as well.
e. Rock music promotes immorality
1) John Blanchard gives the following examples from rock singers. John Oats: “Rock ‘n’ roll is 99% sex.” Led Zeppelin: “Rock ‘n’ roll is sexuality.” Adam Ant: “Pop music revolves around sexuality.” Blanchard, p. 114-115
2) Just overhearing the lyrics of rock played in the shops reveals clearly that rock music promotes immorality.
1) It harms a Christian, just like we have already noted.
2) If you are a Christian, your body belongs to God. (1 Corinthians 6:19) “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” He is grieved if you let rock music harm your body, mind and emotions.
b. It will harm you spiritually.
1) It causes a Christian to disobey God’s command to walk in the Spirit. (Galatians 5:16) “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.“
2) It fills his mind with ungodly thoughts contrary to God’s desire. (Psalms 19:14) “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.“
3) The ungodliness of rock will corrupt his actions. (1 Corinthians 15:33) “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.“
4) It opens the door to temptation. (Romans 13:14) “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.“
Conclusion: Rock music clearly has a harmful effect on those who listen to it. If truthful, you know that rock music does not glorify our holy God. If you know Christ as your Saviour, you cannot listen to rock music of any kind without it harming you. If you want God’s blessing on your life, you must stop listening to rock music. Confess it as a sinful habit and ask God to take it out of your life. It will not be easy, but it will help you grow spiritually, and it will please God.