Look up each of the verses below and write down Bible principles that you can learn from them about this virtue. A “principle” is a “truth you can live by.”
1. What is a man’s first responsibility towards his bride? Ge 2:24 Eph 5:31
2. What does God want husbands to do? Pr 5:18
3. What is a husband to give his wife? Look up the word “benevolence” if you do not know what it means. 1Co 7:3
4. What else must the husband give his wife? 1Co 7:4
5. What does God say about withholding intimacy from your spouse? 1Co 7:5
6. If a wife is to submit to her husband as to the Lord, what then must God expect the husband do? Eph 5:22
7. What job did God give to husbands? Eph 5:23
8. List the order of authorities that God has ordained beginning at the top and working down. 1Co 11:3
9. What does God command a husband to do? Eph 5:25
10. How is he to do this? Eph 5:28,33
11. Note how Christ give himself for His spouse (the church) for her benefit, then list at least three things a husband could do to benefit his wife. Eph 5:25-27
12. What must the husband avoid? Col 3:19
13. Why might a husband become bitter (internally angry) with his wife?
14. Note two things every husband must do 1Pe 3:7
15. How can a husband gain knowledge about his wife?
16. Now note two reasons that husbands must do this, 1Pe 3:7
17. Since God forbids women to teach men in church, what responsibility does God place on the husband? 1Co 14:35
18. If a wife for some reason leaves her husband, what does God want him to be willing to do? 1Co 7:11
19. What must a husband never do to his wife? 1Co 7:11
Summary: A husband is to leave and cleave, rejoice with his wife, be a loving leader, learn about his wife’s needs, and remain with her for life.