Look up each of the verses below and write down Bible principles that you can learn from them about this virtue. A “principle” is a “truth you can live by.”
“The central focus of parenting is the Gospel. You need to direct not simply the behavior of your children, but the attitudes of their hearts.” —Tedd Tripp
1. What are children commanded by God to do, and why (if stated)?
1a) Pr 4:1
1b) Pr 6:20
1c) Col 3:20
1d) Eph 6:1
1e) Eph 6:2-3
2. How do obey and honour differ?
3. Is partial or delayed obedience disobedience? (e.g., a child told to stop when walking out into a busy street).
4. What did God say is the parent’s responsibility?
4a) Pr 22:6
5. What promise does God give parents who fulfil this responsibility?
5a) Pr 22:6
6. What two things does God say that correction shows?
6a) Pr 3:12
7. Why is biblical discipline necessary?
7a) Pr 22:15
7b) Heb 12:11
7c) Pr 23:13-14
7d) Pr 29:15
8. What does God command parents regarding child training?
8a) Pr 23:13
8b) Pr 29:17
9. What does God say about a parent who does not spank his disobedient child?
9a) Pr 13:24
10. When should a parent begin child training?
10a) Pr 13:24
10b) Pr 19:18
11. What else must parents do to train their children in the way he should go?
11a) De 6:6-7
11b) Eph 6:4
Note: Keep in mind that “nurture” refers to God’s whole prescribed training process discussed above, and “admonition” refers to warning with appeal to the heart.
12. Why is it important that a parent train their child in love and not anger?
12a) Eph 6:4
12b) Col 3:21
Note: A parent’s goal must be to reach the child’s heart enabling him to see that disobedience displeases God so that he will desire to choose to obey that he might please God.
Further study: God’s Parenting Method Includes
1. Communication to prepare the child’s heart to glorify God
1a) Teaching De 6:7
1b) Instruction Pr 1:8,15,4:10
1c) Commands Pr 2:1,7:1
1d) Example Pr 23:26
1e) Encouragement and comfort 1Th 2:11
2. Admonition to motivate the child’s heart to glorify God
2a) Reprove or rebuke Pr 13:1,15:5,29:15 (correction, rebuke) (To
reprove, chide, correct, or rebuke)
2b) Admonish Eph 6:4 (Warn with appeal to the heart)
3. Correction to restore the child’s heart to glorify God Pr 3:12
1. Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp, ISBN: 1-879737-19-1,
2. Growing Up God’s Way, by John Stormer ISBN: 0-914053-07-8