Bible Facts about Heaven
24 March 2019 AM – Hebrews 2:14-15 (3) – Heb19 – Scott Childs
Introduction: Heaven is in the presence of God. When a true Christian dies, he goes directly to heaven. One day, every true Christian will be with God in heaven for all eternity. What will heaven be like?
Transition: As we look at the subject of heaven, I want to point out many Bible facts in three categories about heaven.
1. The Location of Heaven
a. Three heavens are mentioned in the Bible
1) The first heaven is the earth’s atmosphere.
2) The second heaven is the stars in outer space.
3) The third heaven is the dwelling place of God. Paul went there in a vision. (2 Corinthians 12:2) “I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.” Heaven is somewhere UP for Jesus said, (John 6:41) “… I am the bread which came down from heaven.”
b. God will create a new heaven and new earth
1) At the end of the Millennium, God will destroy the present earth and atmospheric heaven and probably the star heaven. (2 Peter 3:10) “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.” (See 2Pe 3:12; Re 20:11).
2) God will not make a new third heaven where He dwells, that is eternal. However, He will make a new atmospheric heaven and new earth. Our eternal home is not on this earth as the cults claim. It will be gone!
3) God will create a new heaven and new earth. (Revelation 21:1) “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.” God does not tell us where this will be. It will likely be near the eternal third heaven. The New Jerusalem city that God is preparing will come down to the new earth. (Revelation 21:2) “And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.” Our eternal home will be amazing! Remember, heaven is not just a location. It is the dwelling place of God. God’s presence makes it heaven.
2. The Description of Heaven
a. Heaven is a place of comfort
1) Heaven is the eternal home of Christians. (2 Corinthians 5:1) “For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.”
2) Heaven is the Christian’s confident hope. (Colossians 1:5) “For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;”
3) In heaven, God will live right with us. (Revelation 21:3) “And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.”
4) In heaven, there will be no more tears, death, sorrow, crying or pain. (Revelation 21:4) “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”
5) No more sin. (Revelation 21:27) “And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life.”
6) Heaven is a place of no decay. (Matthew 6:20) “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:”
7) We will recognise other believers. (Matthew 8:11) “And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.”
8) Christians will receive an inheritance in heaven. (1 Peter 1:4) “To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,” (See Heb 10:34).
b. Heaven is a beautiful place
1) God is preparing New Jerusalem, the main city right now.
a) (John 14:2) “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.”
b) It is the largest city ever, 2400 km diameter (cube or pyramid, we do not know). (Revelation 21:16) “And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.” That is farther than from Perth to Broome [2240 km].
2) The city will be awesome.
a) It will reflect the glory of God. (Revelation 21:11) “Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;”
b) The wall will be transparent. (Revelation 21:18) “And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.”
c) The foundation will be of gemstones. (Revelation 21:19-20) “And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.”
d) The twelve gates will be of pearl and the street will be of pure gold. (Revelation 21:21) “And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.”
e) God Himself will be the temple in heaven. (Revelation 21:22) “And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.”
f) There will be no night in heaven. God Himself will be the constant light. (Revelation 21:23) “And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.” (See Re 22:5)
3) There will be a river of water of life [not H2O]. (Revelation 22:1) “And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.”
4) The tree of life will be in heaven. (Revelation 22:2) “In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.”
5) There will be a sea of glass like crystal around God’s throne. (Revelation 4:6) “And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: …”
3. The Activities of Heaven
a. Things we will NOT do
1) We will never struggle with sin again because the curse will be eternally gone (Re 22:3).
2) Work will not be a dreaded job. It will be a joy.
b. Things we WILL do
1) We will drink of the water of life freely (Re 21:6). It will satisfy continually (Re 22:17).
2) We will walk in the light of God as it sparkles through the city like through a prism (Re 21:24).
3) We will eat the fruit of the tree of life in heaven (Re 22:2). Maybe they represent continual health.
4) We will serve God (Re 22:3). Compare Revelation 7:15-17. We will keep busy doing the things God desires for us to do.
5) We will continually worship the Lord (Re 4:11; 5:12-13; 7:12; 19:1).
6) Perhaps we will sing or play harps in God’s eternal choir (Re 5:8-9; 14:2; 15:2).
Conclusion: The only people who will enjoy heaven are those who repent and trust Christ as their Saviour. If you have not yet humbled yourself, admitted your sinful guilt and received Christ, I urge you to do so today. Tomorrow may be too late and you will miss heaven forever!
Song: When We All Get to Heaven, 298
In preparation for this sermon, I gained much for Elber Town’s article, “The Eternal Home of the Saved”.