Faith is the Victory
28 July 2019 PM – 1 John 5:1-5 – 1Jn2019 – Scott Childs
Introduction: We live in a spiritually hostile world. The world includes all that is against God. The world is ungodly people, ungodly activities, ungodly entertainment, ungodly talk and anything else that is ungodly. In 2Co 4:4, Satan is called the god of this world. The cares of this world while we live on earth seek to pull us astray (Mr 4:19). Jesus said, (John 15:19) “If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.” Rom 12:2 warns us not to be conformed to this world. In 1 John 5:4 God tells us that faith is the victory that overcomes the world. He is speaking of faith in Jesus Christ.
Transition: How is it that faith can overcome the world? I want to show you three things that faith in Christ does for us to enable us to overcome the world.
1. Faith in Christ gives us a new Father, v.1
a. Our natural spiritual father is the devil
1) As Jesus talked with the Pharisees, this is what He told them. (John 8:44) “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”
2) Like the Pharisees, every human is born with a sin nature. We sin by nature because we are children of the devil.
3) No pig will ever lose his desire to wallow in the mud because that is his nature. Likewise, no unbeliever will fully overcome the world because he is part of the world.
b. Our new spiritual father is God
1) Those who by faith trust Christ to save them from sin’s judgment are born of God (v.1). God becomes their spiritual Father. He gives them new life in Christ.
2) God makes that believer a new creation. (Ephesians 2:10) “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”
3) God places within every true believer His own nature. (2 Corinthians 5:17) “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
4) With God as our Father, we CAN overcome the world. We no longer have to conform to this world (Ro 12:2). (Romans 8:37) “Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.”
O Because faith in Christ gives us a new Father, faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
2. Faith in Christ gives us a new family, v.1-2
a. Our natural family was the world
1) We lived in the world and loved the things of the world. (Ephesians 2:2-3) “Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.”
2) Our worldly family was a sinful family. (1 Peter 4:3) “For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:” Our worldly family led us in lusts. (1 Peter 1:14) “As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:”
b. Our new family is fellow Christians
1) Those born of God naturally love others who have been born of God (v.1). Christians desire to fellowship with other Christians.
2) The old saying, “Birds of a feather flock together” is true of Christians as well as for birds.
3) Loving godly Christians and making them your close friends will help you overcome the world. That is one reason Jesus commanded that we love one another.
4) Choosing godly friends can help you overcome the world.
a) (Proverbs 13:20) “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.”
b) (Proverbs 27:6) “Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.”
c) (Proverbs 27:17) “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.”
d) (1 Corinthians 15:33) “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.”
e) (Philippians 2:3) “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.”
5) As Christians we must love one another enough to help each other overcome the world.
6) By loving godly Christians, we CAN overcome the world.
O Because faith in Christ gives us a new family, faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
3. Faith in Christ gives us a new focus, v.3
a. Our natural focus in life is to please ourselves
1) This has been a fact since the Garden of Eden.
2) It is part of man’s sinful nature to chafe at rules. We do not like people telling us what to do. We want to run our own lives.
3) Satan tempts us to question God’s Word. He makes the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of live look inviting and promising. Satan wants us to believe that when God says “NO” that He is keeping us back from that which will make us happy.
4) James sets the record straight saying, (James 1:13-15) “Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.”
5) Following the world, living for self and ignoring God’s rules is a sure recipe for trouble, heartache, and future judgment.
b. Our new focus in life is to obey God’s Word
1) Faith in Christ enables a person to keep God’s commandments (v.3). Christians CAN live by the Bible. They CAN obey God.
2) Christians cannot obey God’s Word and live like the world at the same time. The two are opposites.
3) The Bible contains many commandments, too numerous to list this evening, but we must seek to obey them.
4) Obeying God’s Word is a wise choice.
a) God never commands us to do anything that will hurt us.
b) All of God’s commandments are for our good – even the ones that cramp our desires.
c) Every one of God’s negative commands are for our protection. He knows best what will hurt us.
d) Even if many who are disobeying God seem to be getting away with it, that does not make it right. Payday will come someday!
5) To the submissive Christian, God’s commandments are not grievous. The word grievous describes something that is heavy. Carrying a heavy load can be grievous work. If you are a submissive Christian, none of God’s commandments will seem grievous or too heavy. If you are refusing to obey God in some area of your life, you will never truly overcome the world.
6) By obeying God’s commandments, we can overcome the world.
O Because faith in Christ gives us a new focus, faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
Conclusion: Yes, faith is the victory that overcomes the world. If you have faith in Christ for salvation, you have a new Father, a new family and a new focus. With these, you are able to overcome the world and live a victorious Christian life.
Song: Faith is the Victory 402