The Noahic Covenant
28 March 2021 PM – Genesis 9 – Gen2021 – Scott Childs
Introduction: After the flood, the world was new in many ways. The geography of the world was all new with new mountains, new oceans, new icecaps, new rivers, new canyons and a new climate.
In Genesis 9, God tells us of other things that were new after the flood, including a new covenant from God to man and every living creature.
Transition: As we look at God’s new covenant, we find several things that affect our lives today.
The Preface to the Covenant
The preface of God’s covenant gives man four pieces of important information.
a. A command to multiply
1) God blessed Noah and his sons.
2) God gave them a three-in-one command. Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
a) Be fruitful – bear fruit. Have children.
b) Multiply – have LOTS of children. Increase in number.
c) Replenish the earth – fill the earth. The word does not imply fill again as the English word seems to mean. Having children is not a curse but a blessing. (Psalms 127:3) “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.“
b. A comment about the animals
1) Evidently, before the flood, animals, birds and fish had no fear of man. They were friendly and obedient to man.
2) Now, animals, birds and fish will fear and be terrified of man’s presence.
3) Even domestic animals share this fear if left in the wild. [Illustrate]
c. A change in diet
1) Before the flood, people were vegetarians.
2) Now, for the first time (at least with God permission), man is allowed to eat the living creatures (v.3).
3) God placed just one restriction on the eating of meat; the blood must be drained from it before eating it (v.4).
4) Later, during the Law, God forbid the Jews to eat certain kinds of meat. Now in the New Testament period, God allows us to eat all kinds of meat. It is interesting that health experts often say that the kinds of meat God forbid in the OT are still not very healthy for us today.
5) “Finally, the fact that humans could eat animals emphasized the gap between humanity and the animal kingdom-only humankind has been made in the image and likeness of God.” https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_745.cfm
d. A capital punishment is instituted
1) If an animal killed a man, that animal must be killed.
2) If a person kills another person, the murderer must be put to death.
a) The context is obviously wilful murder.
b) The context does not forbid self-defence.
c) The context obviously does not condemn the person executing the murderer.
d) The Old Testament context also does not forbid killing in warfare. Military defence is important for the protection of our nation and our liberties.
3) Capital punishment defends the sanctity of human life.
In this preface, God has given us four pieces of information about changes in the post-flood world. These changes are still in effect today.